Wednesday 11 September 2013

Pebble Smartwatch at Berlin Marathon 2013: Watchnote, Smartwatch Pro and iSmoothrun.


I would like to share my very positive user-experience using the Pebble Smartwatch at the Berlin Marathon 2013:


(click photo to enlarge)

Before leaving for Berlin by train from Denmark, I made a note in Watchnote app for Pebble with all the details of train times to and from Berlin, bus routes, hotel adress, trams to and from the hotel to the starting line etc. and sorted them in chronological order. This was amazingly convenient as I could stand in the crowded trains passages with a bag in my hand and call up the next train departure time and number, making it easy to scan the bulletin boards without having to dig up my iPhone each time. On the trams I could check where to change trams without having to stand up an extricate my iPhone.

I had set up my iPhone calendar with my agenda, showing where I needed to be next, allowing me to keep on schedule using Smartwatch Pro watchface: race-number pickup at Tempelhof, check in to Hotel (tram number) already on my wrist, when to head off to meet up with friends (tram number again!) etc.

On race morning, my Pebble vibrated me awake 5 minutes before my iPhone went off, allowing me to collect my thoughts in peace without waking anybody else. Smartwatch Pro watchface told me when to quit breakfast and which tram to catch. A quick reboot and re-pair of iPhone and Pebble to be on the safe side and then race-time: iSmoothrun for iPhone worked flawlessly with Pebble to keep me on pace, and let me know when I was flagging! I had my iPhone on a reserve battery in my Camelback, a Bluetooth earpiece to hear split times and the Pebble running full time. After 4.5 hours the iPhone was 100% charged, the earpiece had gone from 11 to 10 hours talk time and the Pebble was still going strong with no weak battery indicator.

All in all, a great succes for technology, and a perfect example of what the Pebble can be used for! Kudos to the dedicated developers who give us apps like iSmoothrun, Watchnote and Smartwatch Pro and allow the Pebble to reach its potential!

No comments:

Post a Comment